Saturday, October 31, 2009

PhD confirmation May 2009

A major milestone was passed in May, with finally completing my confirmation as a PhD candidate. A panel of academics gather to collect evidence of the work the the candidate has been doing over the course of 1 full year of their study. In my case, this came several years after I commenced, as I am undertaking my degree part time, and transferred from Masters in late 2005. This length of time prompted one of the panelists to say, "Well, I guess that means we can be tougher on you then."
I have nothing else to compare it to, but it did seem to me that the grilling from some of the academics was pretty severe. I must have managed to present my study adequately, as I was told in the meeting that I would be confrimed, pending the receipt of two pages of ammended proposal and methodology.
One of my supervisors gave me a huge hug at the end of it.

I am so pleased I never have to go through an experience like that again.

No comments: